samedi 26 octobre 2013

How to Beat Depression - Accomplish Something, Anything

Sometimes the easiest way to help ourselves beat depression is to simply accomplish something. Anything. Recognize, I feel depressed, and in spite of the deficiency of motivation that typically accompanies depression, choose to accomplish something very, VERY simple.
Accomplishing something helps provide us with some semblance and sense of self-worth. It's an ego-boost and even in the tiniest terms provides us something positive to celebrate in our lives. Accomplishment might be something as minor as washing dishes or doing a load of laundry or perhaps doing something nice for someone else. It does not have to be extravagant nor does it need to be the realization of a highly aspirational goal.
In fact, goal-setting, while an excellent thing in many circumstances, quite honestly can work against me when I'm feeling depressed. If I am down-trodden or depressed, I typically avoid setting goals, unless they are very small, obviously attainable goals that I know can help motivate me and ultimately pull me away from a depression. Failing to meet a particular goal when I'm already feeling low only pushes me down lower.
What I try to do is focus on accomplishing something that is visual in nature. It's easy to see that the lawn has been mowed or that the basket of laundry has been folded. I see it in my everyday environment and it reminds me that I have accomplished something, and to me, that's a very positive pick-me-up. And, it's much needed when I'm feeling depressed. Other, less-visible accomplishments are wonderful too, particularly if they impact what you perceive to be the cause of your depression in a positive way.
For example, if you're feeling depressed because you didn't get that promotion, an accomplishment might be registering for a class that will provide training and education that you might need to gain a promotion. If you're low because you and your spouse are not getting along over the last few weeks, perhaps a solid accomplishment would be to pick up a book on healthy marriages. If you just lost someone you care about, and you're simply devastated, trying to enjoy something ordinary that you typically love to do is a massive accomplishment.
If you're thinking, I feel depressed, come up with a list of things you can do and complete. Things that are not overly ambitious. Start small. Think small.
Chip away at your depression by creating circumstances and situations where you can complete a task and revel in the accomplishment. It may seem silly, Yay, I cut the grass. Wow. I'm awesome, but believe me, these little, silly accomplishments add up and before you know it, you'll be making headway against these feelings of depression.
Click how to beat depression to learn more about beating depression with inspirational stories, tips, tricks, and ideas to help you or your friends and family tackle depression.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7848554

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire